Summer time is here! That means lots of picnics, bar-b-ques, graduation parties, and other social events with good food that’s often served on wasteful paper plates and eaten with plastic flatware. But did you know there’s a stylish and green alternative for serving food at summer festivities? It’s Leafware sustainable dinnerware, servingware, and flatware. So when Paperless Kitchen, an online store specializing in eco-friendly kitchen goods and green alternatives to paper products, contacted me and asked if I’d like to do a review and give away a free product for my readers, I couldn’t resist!
I discovered that Leafware products are made from earth friendly materials that are fully biodegradable, so they can be tossed into the compost bin when you are done with them! Plus, Leafware is not only great for food, but I realized it had many other uses as well, such as being a chic, green tray for holding jewelry. Also, because these earthy plates come in so many sizes and shapes, they really do make a beautiful addition to your decor. They are extremely environmentally friendly and effective. Read on for more details.
Also, don’t forget to enter to win a free Leafware set! Find out how to below.
- Type: Single-use Dinnerware, Flatware, & Serving Dishes
- Item: Leafware Sample Pack
- Contents: One set of flatware for two (two each of the following: 7″ forks, spoons, and knives, and 4″ tasting spoons), one set of dinnerware for two (two each of the following: 10″ dinner plates, 9″ lunch plates, 7″ salad plates, 5″ dessert plates, 3.5″ single bite plates, 7″ round bowls, 5″ deep square bowls) and two 9 x 6″ serving trays
- Cost: $20
- Available From: Paperless Kitchen
- Company Transparency: Materials are on the product packaging and the manufacturing process is on the Leafware website and product brochure
- Effectiveness: Safe for liquids and leak-proof; heat safe; freezer safe
- Environmental Friendliness: Dinnerware made from naturally shed palm leaves; flatware made from sustainable birch wood; biodegradable; compostable
- Other uses: Jewelry tray, toiletry tray, guest soap dish, potpourri holder, fruit bowl
- Safety: Palm material is sterilized before being formed into dinnerware and servingware; birch flatware is free of glues and dyes; non-toxic
- Sizes: Multiple sizes and packages available
- Sustainably produced: Sustainably made providing a source of income for many families in small communities of South Asia
- Price: A little more expensive than paper or plastic
Effectiveness The manufacturer notes that the plates, bowls, and platters are liquid and temperature-resistant, so to test them I filled a few bowls with very hot water and let them sit for several minutes. They held up extremely well. They were sturdy and held their shape and there was no leakage at all. So, they seemed much better than most heavy-duty paper plates, which often get saturated and soggy. And because they could tolerate heat, they were better than plastic, too! By the way, I didn’t have a set of the birch wood flatware to test, so I can’t comment on how well those work.
Final Thoughts I absolutely loved this green Leafware dinnerware and could definitely see using it for several occasions, such as a romantic picnic for two or a large social gathering where washing plates isn’t an option. Being eco-friendly, fashionable, safe, and very versatile, they are really special in more ways than one! So, I highly recommend giving Leafware a try the next time you need disposable dinnerware and flatware.
HOW TO ENTER THE LEAFWARE PRODUCT GIVEAWAY
To enter the Leafware Give-Away for a free sample set (service for two) from PaperlessKitchen.com, please use the form below. Multiple entries can be earned by leaving a comment on this post, liking us on Facebook, and following us on Twitter. (Note: The prize may be shipped anywhere in the U.S.A., so U.S. entrants only please.)
Social shares are always welcome! So please help spread the word about this giveaway, which starts at midnight on June 21 and ends July 16, 2014 at 12am PST. Thanks and good luck!
Disclosure: Leafware review sample provided by Paperless Kitchen.
Copyright © Karen Peltier and Well Gal, 2014. All rights reserved.
Photos © Leafware, Courtesy of PaperlessKitchen.com