Are you looking for a last-minute gift for your health-conscious friend or a loved one that seems to have everything, but aren’t sure what to get? How about a giving a green cleaning kit?
If you think a cleaning kit is too “practical,” don’t forget that you can personalize it based on what they like or need. For example, if they love lavender, you can make or purchase lavender-scented cleaning products. Or if they love the holidays, try products with seasonal scents, such as orange, pine, spruce, clove, or frankincense. If they are allergy-prone, go scent-free. Making the cleaning products yourself gives you control over the ingredients, saves you money, and lets you show them you care by giving them something that supports their health and wellness.
Short on time? No problem. These baskets are easy to put together and the DIY products are really easy to make in large batches, so you can make several products at once. But if you’re short on time, you can always buy eco-friendly, store-bought products and use them to create gift baskets using the ideas below. By the way, ready-made cleaning sets, many of which are available on-line from green cleaning companies like Eco-Me, Better Life, and Mrs. Meyers, are also a good option if you’re really in a hurry and need something shipped.
Cleaning Gift Set Ideas
To make your own natural cleaning gift sets all you need are some basic supplies, essential oils, and a few simple ingredients that are readily available at any natural products store. Sounds easy, right? It is! Give one of these great cleaning set ideas a try — and don’t forget to make one for yourself while you’re at it!
Basic Cleaning Kit
Getting someone started with natural, green cleaning is as simple as giving them some eco-friendly cleanser, all-purpose cleaner, and natural soap:
- DIY Aromatherapy Cleanser or a store-bought eco-friendly cleanser
- DIY All-Purpose Aromatic Vinegar Spray or a commercial all-purpose green cleaner
- Castile Soap: These simple soaps can clean almost anything and come in a variety of scents and sizes as explained in my article “Top Castile Soaps for Green Cleaning.”
To package your gift, why not put it in a “green” bucket, throw in a few natural cleaning tools and use a microfiber cloth to create a bow?
Giving dishwashing supplies may not sound glamorous, but when you use high-quality products scented with essential oils, they really are special. Try wrapping your gift set in an organic dish towel and some pretty ribbon. Here are some ideas for items to include:
- Aromatherapy Cleanser (make this easy product or buy one in the store)
- Natural sponges and pot and pan scrubbers
- Organic dish cloths and dish towels
- Green dish washing liquid, such as one of these top green hand dishwashing soaps
- Green dishwasher detergent, such as one from Seventh Generation
- A set of beautiful natural rubber or latex gloves
- A beautiful soap dispenser bottle pretty enough for the counter top
- A green dish rack. Try one made of stainless steel, recycled plastic, or bamboo.
Essential Oil Cleaning Set
Essential oils, which have antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties, are fantastic for natural cleaning and an important part of any green cleaning kit. They also work equally well in homemade spa and beauty products not to mention in health treatments due to their many therapeutic benefits.
To package them, use a scrap piece of fabric and a pretty ribbon. Include some recipe cards for natural cleaning recipes and a set of cards explaining the benefits of the essential oils. Check out “Top 5 Essential Oils for Green Cleaning” to give you some ideas on which ones to include in your kit.
Natural Laundry Gift Basket
For someone with sensitive skin, allergy issues, or skin conditions, such as eczema, a natural laundry gift basket would be a great idea!
Along with a green laundry detergent, such as Whole Foods Markets’ Green Mission Organic Laundry Detergent (Unscented), include some of the products below, all of which you can easily make. Package them in a natural wicker basket and include a few organic towels or wash cloths with it, too!
- Bergamot Baking Soda Laundry Booster
- Eco-Friendly Washing Machine Cleaner
- Lovin’ Laundry Lavender Vinegar Laundry Rinse
- Lavender Citrus Linen and Lingerie Wash
- Luxurious Lavender Mint Dryer Sachets
Copyright © Karen Peltier and Well Gal, 2012- 2013. All rights reserved.