In addition to lemons amazing uses in cooking, green cleaning, and spa and beauty treatments, did you know they’re super healthy for you? Check out these five bright reasons to add some lemon water to your daily health and wellness routine and feel revitalized!
- Balance your pH. Although lemons are acidic, they actually have an alkalizing effect on the body when taken internally. So, they help re-balance a body that may be too acidic from eating too much red meat, excessive sugar, etc. An alkaline pH means a better functioning body — one that is healthier and more able to resist disease.
- Detoxify. Lemon juice is a natural detoxifier and often an important part of any detox. It helps cleanse the liver, which allows it to function more effectively in doing its job of breaking down toxins. Toxins not only come from sources outside the body, such as toxic cleaning chemicals, smog, alcohol, medications, and certain kinds of make-up, but can also be byproducts of normal biochemical processes, so they are a battle your liver is always fighting. Unfortunately, if the liver becomes overloaded, toxins can build up in the body, get stored in fat tissue, and cause problems like inflammation, which many doctors believe to be a leading cause of several diseases. Over time, they can also be released into the blood stream, which inevitably causes problems as well.
- Enhance Iron Absorption. If you’re a tea drinker — that is green, black, or white tea, which are all from the Camelia sinensis plant — adding a squeeze of lemon juice to your tea or chasing it with lemon water helps counter the tea’s polyphenols from blocking iron absorption within your body. Iron is essential to our body’s hemoglobin content to carry oxygen throughout the body and a vital part of enzymes and cell processes. So, if you’re not getting the iron you need, several bodily functions can be negatively impacted and you many notice you’re energy waning.
- Drink More Water. If you find it difficult drinking plain old water, lemon juice jazzes up H20 and makes it easier to avoid reaching for calorie-laden and nutritionally void drinks. In fact, it turns plain water into spa water. So, why not store a pitcher of lemon water in your refrigerator, pack a few lemon slices in your lunch container, or squeeze some lemon juice into a water bottle you can take with you anywhere? You may even find you start losing weight, especially if you’re replacing unhealthy beverage habits, such as sugary sodas.
- Get Vitamin C Naturally. Chock full of Vitamin C, which is an antioxidant and a vitamin vital to tissue repair and growth, lemons are an easy way to boost your vitamin intake without resorting to popping supplements. Because Vitamin C is not made by the body and excreted through the urine, it’s important that you renew your supply daily, so what better way to do it than by drinking fresh lemon water?
Other Spa Water Articles You May Be Interested In:
- 7 Compelling Health Reasons to Drink Cucumber Water
- Refreshing Cucumber Mint Medley Spa Water Recipe
- Pomegranate Berry Spa Water
- Are You Unknowingly Drinking “Dead” Water Void of Minerals?
- 7 Ways to Enliven Your Drinking Water with Minerals for Better Health
Other Ways to Use Lemons:
Copyright © Karen Peltier and Well Gal, 2013-2015. All rights reserved.
Photos © Karen Peltier and Well Gal, 2013-2015