Ginger — A Little Rhizome with a Lot to Offer!
Get out of the cold and warm up inside with a nice cup of zesty ginger tea. Ginger comes in handy this time of year because it actually boosts your immune system and has a diaphoretic action, meaning it promotes perspiration. This is helpful because it raises the body’s core temperature to kill germs, stimulate white blood cell production, and eliminate toxins through the skin. It’s also great for your respiratory system, especially for bronchial congestion. If that weren’t enough, ginger is even a great digestive aid. So, if you’ve got a cold coming on, feel like you might be getting the flu, or are just low on energy, grab a cup of ginger tea.
- Two to three ½ inch round slices of fresh ginger root
- 3 cups of water
- Options: honey, lemon, dash of cinnamon
This makes about 2 cups of tea.
Making ginger tea is very easy. The steps below essentially show how to make a decoction of the root.
- Peel fresh ginger root.
- Cut off a few ½ inch round slices.
- Add ginger to a small pot of water and bring it to a boil.
- Turn it down to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- When done, stir in any desired optional ingredients, serve, and enjoy.
Benefits of Optional Ingredients
- Raw honey: Give yourself a natural energy boost and soothe a sore throat or cough with honey, which helps fight off infections due to its antimicrobial benefits.
- Lemon juice: Squeeze in some fresh lemon for a punch of Vitamin C and bright citrus flavor.
- Cinnamon: Add a dash of cinnamon for not only great taste, but to potentially fight off infections. According to MedLine Plus, a service of the National Library of Medicine and National Institutes of Health (NIH), cassia cinnamon’s cinnamaldehyde content might be effective against bacteria and fungi.
Other Articles Related to Boosting Your Immune System You May Be Interested In:
- 5 Amazing At-Home Spa Treatments to Boost Your Immunity & Be Healthier
- Top 3 Essential Oils to Disinfect the Air, Boost Immunity, and Treat Colds & the Flu
- Boost Your Immunity with Blueberries and Grapes
- Improving Your Immune System is as Easy as a Walk in the Woods
- Detoxifying Mustard Bath: Boost Your Immunity, Fight Colds & Flus, & More
- DIY Warming Winter Ginger Bath
Copyright © Karen Peltier and Well Gal, 2013-2014. All rights reserved.